Calgary and Area Municipal Cemeteries
Queen’s Park Cemetery 3219 4th St. NW.
This cemetery is located at 3219 - 4 Street in the north west quadrant of the city. Queen's Park Cemetery has been in operation since 1940 and is 54 hectares in size. This is Calgary's largest cemetery operation, and is where the Central Administration Office is located. There have been 51,557 burials as of 1997.
Queen's Park Mausoleum 3219 4th St. NW.
The City of Calgary’s magnificent Queen’s Park Mausoleum is located in Queen’s Park Cemetery, a five-minute drive from downtown Calgary. Calgary Parks & Recreation built this $2.1 million facility in the fall of 1997 in response to an increasing demand for this service. The Mausoleum will also help defer future need for cemetery land. which The City estimates could be depleted within 20 years.
St. Mary's Cemetery Erlton St. & 32nd Ave. SW.
Calgary's first cemetery was established by the Roman Catholic mission in 1876. Later abandoned, the graves were moved to St. Mary's Cemetery, located at 30th Avenue and Erlton Street S. W. The City took over the operation of the cemetery in 1935. St. Mary's Cemetery consists of 7.1 hectares of land. As of 1997, there are 15,018 burials.
Union Cemetery 27th Ave & Spiller Rd. SE.
The oldest burial ground in the city is Union Cemetery, located at 28th Avenue and Spiller Road S.E. This cemetery is bordered by Macleod Trail on the west side and Spiller Road on the east side. That part of Macleod Trail which passes Union Cemetery has been known for many years as Cemetery Hill. Many of the founders and early pioneers of Calgary and district are buried here. In the spring of 1891, Council had this section of land surveyed into burial plots for immediate use. Prior to that date, the site known as Shaganappi Point, which is the current site of the Shaganappi Golf Course, was used for burials. However, poor soil conditions forced The City to seek an alternate site.
Currently, Union Cemetery is comprised of some 20 hectares of land, with some 20,911 burials to 1997.
Burnsland Cemetery 27th Ave & Spiller Rd. SE.
This cemetery is located at 28th Avenue & Spiller Road S.E. next to Union Cemetery. It was established in 1923 and is 13 hectares in size. There have been 22,061 burials as of 1997.
Chinese Cemetery Erlton St. & MacLeod Trail SW.
This cemetery is designated for the burial of people of Chinese origin. According to custom, all gravestones face west so that the buried receive the morning sunshine. The City took over this cemetery in 1938. It is Calgary’s smallest cemetery with approximately 1.4 hectares of land and 1,048 burials as of 1997.
Contact The City of Calgary Cemeteries
Printable Cemetery Brochures
The City of Calgary Cemeteries Price List
The Rocky View Garden of Peace Cemetery
The Rocky View Garden of Peace Cemetery is a peaceful and park-like environment in which to honour the spirit and memory of loved ones.
Ideally situated just a mile east of the Calgary city limits, at 16th Avenue. (Highway #1 East) and Garden Road N.E. (100 Street N.E.). The Rocky View Garden of Peace, is owned and operated by Rocky View County and is easily accessible from all major Calgary funeral homes.
The Rocky View Garden of Peace Cemetery offers a range of alternatives for final disposition, to meet the special demands of the public. Some of the options are:
The Bottrel Cemetery is located ½ mile south of the Bottrel General Store, on a hill overlooking a beautiful valley. Originally named the Westbrook Cemetery, it was developed at the turn of the century. The land was transferred to the Municipality in 1963, from the Estate of the late John T. Boucher. The Cemetery holds many family members of the early settlers from the area. Of historical interest, there is a Civil War Veteran interred in the Cemetery.
The Bottrel Cemetery is maintained and operated by Rocky View County. Plots are available for sale to Rocky View County through the main office. For more information, please call 403-285-0660.
The Dalemead Cemetery is nestled in a thicket of bushes, at the top of a hill north of the Hamlet of Dalemead. The Cemetery was established in the 1920’s when the Hamlet was a bustling community. There is a cairn in the centre of the grounds memorializing many early settlers buried on these grounds.
Today the Dalemead Cemetery is operated and maintained by Rocky View County. Plots are available for sale to residents of Rocky View County through the Municipal Office. For more information, please call 403-285-0660.
33 Big Hill Way
The Parks Department maintains the City cemetery and manages the purchasing of lots and scheduling of burials. Please phone (403) 948-8400, fax (403) 948-3987, or email email@example.com
Cochrane Municipal Cemeteries
St. Andrew's Cemetery, 401 Centre Avenue, Cochrane, AB
St. Mary's Cemetery, 405 Centre Avenue, Cochrane, AB
Cochrane Cemetery, 408 Centre Avenue, Cochrane, AB
The Town of Cochrane maintains and operates three cemeteries to serve residents of the area. Cochrane Cemetery includes a Field of Honour where the Interment of the cremated remains of a spouse shall be permitted with a predeceased veteran in the Field of Honour. It also features interdenominational Grave Plots. No Grave Plots are available for purchase in the St. Mary's Cemetery and St. Andrew's Cemetery. Pre-purchase of a Grave Plot is not permitted in the Field of Honour.
The Cochrane Cemetery office is located in the Parks and Facilities Section at 124 Griffin Road, East, Cochrane, Alberta, where records relating to the operation of the Cemetery are kept and inquiries may be directed.
Phone: 403-851-2590 firstname.lastname@example.org
Okotoks Municipal Cemetery
The Okotoks Cemetery is located at the West central edge of the Town fronting on Big Rock Trail on its North side and Westland Street and agricultural land beyond that on the west side. It abuts residential properties on it’s south and east boundaries.
The existing cemetery occupies an area of approximately 10.6 acres (including lands now associated with Westland Street (as per the Town’s Legal Base Map). Approximately 8.2 acres of these 10.6 acres have been developed to date specifically for cemetery use.
The cemetery is effectively flat land, predominantly open (unwooded) with the exception of some tree plantings along cemetery roads and scattered throughout the site.
Contact us to find out information about donating a Memorial bench or tree, locating a loved one's burial site, or purchasing a burial plot. 403-938-8958 email@example.com Rates & Fees
Strathmore Municipal Cemetery
The Town of Strathmore's cemetery is located on the west side of Strathmore along Highway #1. To view maps and visit the cemetery office please find us located at 680 Westchester Road in Strathmore. For information or interment arrangements please contact the Town at (403) 934-3133. Rates & Fees
The Town of Strathmore maintains a Field of Honour Section for the Burial of service and ex-service men and women of the Armed Forces. A spouse may be interred in a veteran’s plot in a double depth grave.