primary goals and functions
Established in 1966, our organization originated as a cooperative of individuals who share a common commitment to providing an affordable and dignified alternative to expensive funeral services. We function as a non-profit, non-denominational entity, overseen by a dedicated volunteer Board of Directors comprised of up to 12 members.
The primary goals and functions of the CMS include:
- Education: We provide information and resources to help individuals understand their options for end-of-life planning. We host presentations, distribute literature, or maintain our website with educational content.
- Advocacy: We advocate for consumer rights and protection in the funeral and burial industry. We work to ensure that people have access to transparent and affordable funeral options.
- Pre-Planning Services: We offer assistance in pre-planning funerals, including helping individuals choose suitable funeral homes, make arrangements for disposition (burial or cremation), and establish pre-paid funeral plans.
- Price Comparisons: We maintain a database of local funeral service providers, their offerings, and their prices for our members, allowing consumers to compare costs and make informed decisions.
- Consumer Guidance: We provide advice and guidance to individuals and families on how to navigate the often complex and emotional process of planning a funeral or memorial service.
- Promotion of Simplicity: We advocate for simple and eco-friendly funeral practices, emphasizing the importance of minimizing the environmental impact and cost of end-of-life arrangements.
- Burial Assistance: We offer assistance in finding affordable burial plots or mausoleums through municipal cemeteries.